Friday, February 6, 2009

At first I want to apologies for the mistake I made with the word with, I know it’s with but still when I write something I have a habit of writing whit instead of with. Thanks for pointing it out and I hope it will not happen again!


After a while of thinking I came up with a few questions I could ask myself with the topic of interest:



1. How could a flooring landscape change by using the forces applied on the floor?
2. What would be a good setting to landscape the floor?
3. What kind of effect would such a landscaped floor have on people?
4. What could this typology add to the already existing typologies?


These topics could be investigated with different programs like Diana for the structural analyses and Maya in combination with Rhino to sculpt the landscape. For the effect the landscape would have I could run a survey on my blog so it could be commented by the readers of the blog. I hope that in the end I will have gathered enough information to make a conclusion.

1 comment:

  1. the sketches are interesting in that they suggest there maybe novel ways in a "landscape" like way to integrate some of the features common in buildings today. Apart from there visual different appearance what would such changes contribute to the architecture? is the visual effect, is it the constant challenge to not trip and fall on an uneven floor? Maybe it helps to also identify some positives and negatives of flat floors and compare that with some positive and negative aspects of a landscaped floor if you intend it to be a usable part of a building rather than just scenery. An interesting example maybe Toyo Itos Opera house design for Taichung, there is a paper on the surface design of it here (on page 50 - its a 80MB pdf) http://www.architecturalgeometry.at/aag08/aag08proceedings-papers_and_poster_abstracts.pdf
    What is suggested in this design is that the surface can take on different roles in creating spaces as well, so it maybe difficult to look at floors as an isolated aspects when creating them as a spatial element.

    About using surveys to asses the response of people to your design, I am not too convinced as it is an effect that will be hard to judge based on images, as it is a very physical experience to walk on even or uneven floors, so it would need more detail on how you would intend to assess what aspect of a possible proposal.
    ( I also tried to find a reference of a student project I saw as a visiting critic once, but could not find it- he was using the different loading cases in a museum based on the exhibition pieces to influence the structural grid below it, which was a nice interactive example, but it did leave the floor flat and created the response on the underside in the beams)
    Axel

    ReplyDelete