Monday, February 16, 2009

Today I was not in class because on Friday I started to get ill and Saturday I had a temperature and it’s still lasting so I hope I will be in the faculty by Wednesday.

Last week we had our presentation to point out the research questions. My research questions are the same in my blog as last week, but one: The opinion of other people is left out, this is too hard to work out, because if I want to get an accurate opinion I will probably need an 1 on 1 model.

One of the other points made in the presentation was that I can create my own boundaries within the model and by creating the boundaries landscaping it.
Axel Kilian told me to start looking at cathedral structures. Last week I started to look at the structures of different cathedrals. And how they work. Depending on the country the difficulty of the systems difference, but al the structures are based on a catenary system. In this system we look to the stresses in a chain, because of the gravity the chain will get a bow formed like structure and there is an optimum in stresses. By mirroring the chain an arch appears. Also in this arch there is an optimum in the stresses.





I am still looking into the structures of cathedrals, the next step is to set my boundaries for the calculation.
And at last, one of the research tutor told about a television program related to my research questions. I want to ask if she can still send me the data. Thanks in advance!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Andjelko,

    thanks for the update on the cathedral structures, the main reason I mentioned them was because I remembered entering the space above the vaults in a cathedral as a child finding it very fascinating to see the undulating up and down of the brick floor/roof, and it being a space that was not normally acessible. an image of a similar example here http://mas.org/up-to-the-roof-a-vertical-tour-of-st-john-the-divine/
    http://peregrinations.kenyon.edu/photobank/1-4/23.jpg

    The question is what factors influence the shape of your floor towards a landscape like structure, in the cathedrals the above the vault space is a leftover of the vaulted roof, and not the intended outcome, if you wnat to generate floor landscapes what does shape them, forces, programmatic aspects etc.
    For Monday try to setup a simple parametric model that shows some aspects of what you would like to achieve in a variable way (meaning if you change a parameter it would adapt in a way you intend it to)

    this sketch may help you to define things more closely
    Axel

    ReplyDelete